As a research organization, the National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology is taking part in a number of research and development projects.
- MASRI - Infrastructure for Sustainable Development in the Field of Marine Research, Linked to the Participation of Bulgaria in the European Infrastructure EURO-ARGO
- COLOSSAL – Real-time Chemical Composition of Fine Aerosols and Determination of their Contribution Sources
- RER/7/012 - Determining Long Term Time Trends of Air Pollution Source Tracers by Nuclear Techniques
- InDUST - International Network to Encourage the Use of Monitoring and Forecasting Dust Products (inDUST)
- INNOAIR - The National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology is a Partner in the project - Innovative Public Transport, meeting the demand for Cleaner air in Urban Environments (INNOAIR)
- CARBOAERSOL - Study of Black Carbon and some Important Hydrocarbons in the Atmospheric Aerosol in an Urban Environment.
- FLOODGUARD - Integrated Actions for Joint Coordination and Responsiveness to Flood Risks in the Cross Border Area
- LSA-SAF—Satellite Applications for Land Surface Analyses
- SALGEE—Satellite Applications for Land Surface Analyses for the Region of Southeastern-Eastern Europe
- Bulgaria, as an EUMETSAT co-operation Partner, takes part in the testing of the products developed under H-SAF Project, partially financed by EUMETSAT.